Second Weekly Recap

5/11/19

I made a ton of headway on all of my pieces with week. I got the vast majority of my first major

project done. It is a garden sculpture being made to be put in my front yard. The design is of a steel

hook sculpture that looks kind of like a coat hanger. It is a pole that stands about six feet tall with

three large hooks sprouting in three directions, at varying heights. On these hooks will be three

ceramic pots for any kind of flower. At the base of the pole will be four right angled bars that can

stick in the ground as stakes to provide support for the sculpture in any direction. I have all the hooks

done and only need to attach the supports to the bottom of the steel component. The ceramic pots

still need to be trimmed and fired, then glazed and fired again but this is an easy process that mostly

takes time rather than the effort of originally throwing a pot their size. I made solid progress on the

ceramic portion of my second major piece as well. I have completed the forming of four quarter

sphere shapes, varying in size to fit in one another. They’ve been dried and smoothed so now I only

need to fire and glaze them. I will epoxy these to steel rings around a steel shaft so they can rotate

like a globe. This idea interests me because it focuses on the concept of more complex sculptures

involving moving parts instead of simply making larger stationary artwork. My smaller pieces are also

going along swimmingly. I am ready to work on a series of small pinch pots with steel legs. The pots

are done so I just need to measure their diameters and make fitting bases out of steel. The legs are

meant to sprawl out from the bowls in an abstract, artistic fashion. My steel kayak from the first week

is almost completed, only requiring that I cut a cockpit out and smooth the steel out. No surprises

occurred in this past week, which is probably a good thing because I need as much to go as planned

as possible. Not that I am in any sort of emergency with time management or anything, I just have

ideas that can be comfortable carried out with the amount of time I’ve given myself. I am close to

achieving all three goals of mine. With the progress I made on my major pieces last week, I am sure

to meet my personal requirements this week. This applies to the smaller pieces I mentioned as well.

Everything is on schedule to be completed on time, even my presentation/brochure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First weekly recap!

Day 8